Parent Councils are the formal representative body for parents / carers with children attending school. Parent Councils are different in each school to enable them to meet the needs of parents / carers locally.
Parents are welcomed to be:
- involved with their child’s education and learning;
- be active participants in the life of the school and;
- express their views on school education generally and work in partnership with their children’s schools.
All parents / carers are automatically members of the Parent Forum at their child’s school. As a member of the Parent Forum all parents can expect to
- receive information about the school and its activities;
- hear about what partnership with parents means in our school;
- be invited to be involved in ways and times that suit you;
- identify issues you want the parent council, to work on with the school;
- be asked your opinion by the parent council on issues relating to the school and the education it provides;
- work in partnership with staff and;
- enjoy taking part in the life of the school in whatever way possible.
The Parent Forum decides how their representatives on the Parent Council are chosen and how the Parent Council operates. Parents / carers are encouraged to volunteer or put themselves forward to be chosen as representatives of the Parent Council if they wish.
The main aims of the Parent Council are:
- To support the school in its work with pupils
- To represent the views of parents
- To promote contact between the school, parents, pupils, providers of nursery education and the community
- To report to the Parent Forum
- To be involved in the appointment of senior promoted staff.
- To raise funds for the school for the benefit of pupils (in some schools the PTA/PA fulfils this role).
The Chair of the Parent Council is currently Billy Samuel he can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org
The remaining Parent Council Meetings for 2018/19, which are held in school between 7.15pm and 9pm are on the following dates:
21st May 2019
For more information on parental involvement or to find out about parents as partners in their children’s learning, please contact the school or visit the Parentzone website at www.parentzonescotland.gov.uk.